Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fauns and Fairies and Blood- Oh My!

I'm excited about this one here. Took me forever to see it, but I finally did.

"Pan's Labyrinth"
Brief Summary:
In 1944 fascist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth. He tells her she's a princess, but must prove her royalty by surviving three gruesome tasks. If she fails, she will never prove herself to be the the true princess and will never see her real father, the king, again. (Taken from imdb.com)

Random quote: "You're getting older, and you'll see that life isn't like your fairy tales. The world is a cruel place. And you'll learn that, even if it hurts."


My Review:
Gosh, I don't even know where to start with this one. I feel like all I can really say is that it was great. I won't leave you with that though. :c)

It was a dark drama. Subtitled. Had amazingly (is that a word?) imaginative creatures in it. My favorite was the freaky guy with his eye-balls in his hands. Here's a picture:

I tried to find one of his whole body, but couldn't find a decent one. His body was cool and his eyes had to be popped into his hands. Very freaky. This was the second task. This part kind of reminded me of Alice and Wonderland. So did the first task because of the outfit she was wearing among other things.

There were some gross parts. Gross meaning bloody. I'm not really a squeamish person, but there some parts that made me cringe. It was also a sad movie though. Sad because of the war, the death, the things that people had to give up in order live, the things that a child had to create in order to escape the real world (that is... if you don't believe that fairies and such don't really exist).
This is definitely a movie I would recommend, expecially if you're into dark tales and don't mind reading subtitles.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments: