Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happenstance

Being my first post, I suppose I should tell you what I plan on doing here. I've signed up for Netflix and plan on watching a lot of movies. I'll give you a summary of the movie, a quote from the movie, and my review.

Feel free to comment on anything included in the blog. Agree or disagree, either works for me. Let me know if there is something I should add as well!! :c)


First movie up is Happenstance.



Brief Summary:
Chance, volition, and the large effects of tiny causes swirl through Paris on a single day. A clerk born 11 March 1977 hears her horoscope on the way to work: today she'll meet her true love, but she must be patient. Before the day ends under a full moon, twenty lives intersect time and again in unpredictable, connected ways: a jilted lover holds a souvenir pebble, a stolen coffee maker looks suspicious at a Metro stop, a yellow rain slicker is passed on as a gift, lettuce causes a bicycle accident, a leaf betrays an habitual liar who's just told the truth, and an Algerian waiter, also born 11 March 1977, sees a bug cross a tablecloth. Magical sand from the Sahara is in the air. (Taken from imdb.com)



Random Quote:
"So feel free sometimes to do something stupid,random and ludicrous. That stupid, random and ludicrous act can upset the order of the world."


My Review:
I didn't know exactly what I was going into when I selected this movie. To be honest, I selected it based on the fact that Audrey Tautou was in it. I didn't even read the description first.

The movie is based on the idea that one single event can effect the world, regardless of how small the event is. With that in mind, we follow several people around France. Most of these people are feeling lost, depressed, or are in search for love. The movie was slow moving and did not create much of a connection between the characters and the audience. The only character I found myself routing for was Audrey's character because she was the only character that made a connection.

As a whole, the movie was pretty good. The ending made me feel a little better about the whole thing and was true to the main idea of the movie. (Don't worry, I won't spoil it!)

Pay attention to what the movie is telling you rather than try to create some sort of connection with the characters. Is more of a watch alone or watch with your partner movie.

As a side note, I looked up "happenstance" in the dictionary. It is a noun that means : "a fortuitous happening."




3 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments: